Although breastfeeding is natural, it doesn’t always come naturally. It can take several weeks for Mommy & Baby to find their breastfeeding rhythm. The first few weeks are the most crucial though, to developing a strong breastfeeding relationship. Studies show that one-quarter to two-thirds of women have difficulty with breastfeeding during these first few weeks. Top complaints are sore nipples, delayed onset of milk supply, infant weight loss, and infant sucking problems. Yet, when the researchers provided lactation support to each subject who needed one, their breastfeeding problems were resolved. If you are noticing breastfeeding challenges, contact us today for in-home breastfeeding support from a certified lactation consultant.
Basic Breastfeeding Support
Many women find all the support they need from breastfeeding groups, educators or the support offered by their midwife, doula, nurse or lactation specialist. They often just need a little reassurance and general assistance with some of the following common concerns:
· Position and latch
· Nipple pain
· Plugged ducts
· Reassurance about how baby is breastfeeding
· Going back to work
· Feeding baby by bottle
When to call a Lactation Consultant:
Indications in a pregnant or new mother:
- History of breast surgery
- Minimal or no breast changes during pregnancy
- Breast or nipple pain
- Anxiety regarding lactation and breastfeeding
- Relactation or induced lactation
- Marked breast or nipple asymmetry
Indications in an infant:
- No latch within 24 hours of life
- Persistent difficulty latching
- Inadequate diapers (less than 2-3 stools per day by day 3 OR less than 2 voids per day by day 2)
- Preterm or premature infants.
- Infants with special needs
- Infants fretful at breast (squirming, crying, pulling off breast)
- Inadequate weight gain
Our Lactation Counselor Home Visits consist of the following:
- A feeding will be observed.
- We will collect as much information as possible from you regarding your particular challenges, concerns and presenting issues.
- Your CLC will guide you to make changes necessary to correct presenting issues, answer any questions you may have regarding your concerns & challenges and come up with a breastfeeding plan that you are comfortable with and can follow moving forward.
- It is important to remember that it is impossible to know how your body and/or your baby will respond to recommendations. Follow up phone support can be very crucial to your breastfeeding success and is included with every CLC home visit. Every plan can, and will, be tweaked as needed during these follow-up calls. If deemed necessary, you will be referred to a medical provider for further assessment.
Our Lactation Consultant Home Consult consists of the following:
- A feeding will be observed.
- Your infant will be weighed before and after feedings to assess milk intake.
- We will work together to develop your individualized care plan for follow up.
- Over the phone support following visit is included to ensure that your breastfeeding plan is a success.
- If a feeding is unable to be observed on the first visit, a follow-up visit will be completed for free.
Initial Visit Fee for our CLC: $150 (depending on location)
Initial Visit Fee for our IBCLC: $250* (depending on location)
Please call for follow-up visit fees
* Fees may vary for twins or triplets. Both our CLC and IBCLC will provide a “super bill” for insurance reimbursement
* Sliding scale available(no woman in need of breastfeeding support will be turned away)
Looking for a consultant?
Get to know more! Contact us and let us know a good time for us to reach out to discuss the best options for you.